I am not a huge Valentines fan so naturally I don't really care to decorate for that holiday
but I ran across this project on this blog and really liked how easy it seemed and how cute it was so I thought
ok, I will decorate a little :)
I had THE HARDEST time finding doilies (possibly because Valentines Day is two weeks away?) but finally found some at the Dollar Store. They were a different shape and size than the ones in the blog I had seen but they were going to have to do so I just had to use a little more of my own creative senses.
DIY Doily Wreath Tutorial:
Supplies:
- Doilies (lots!)
- Styrofoam wreath form
- Hot glue gun
The How-To:
First, I folded the bottom up just to shorten them a little. These were pretty big doilies, I didn't want my wreath to be all floppy.
Then I folded one side in to touch where my thumb was and then folded the other side the other direction to touch where my other fingers were. To look like this.
Then I put a dab of hot glue to hold the sides in place and started gluing them onto the styrofoam wreath form. By the way you can use a 40% off coupon from Hobby Lobby or Michaels on the wreath form making it only just a couple bucks!
I wiped out the Dollar Store (and I even checked other $ stores and they were out) so I went sparse at first and then filled in holes after I had gone all the way around. I really would have liked it a little more full but what can you do?
I really liked how the blogger from the site I saw this on put it on her vintage window. I have been looking for something to put on mine and so it was a no-brainer that's where mine was going. Plus my window sits on my mantle shelves so why not decorate them a bit for the holiday? And I decided to get more into the spirit of love and bought some pink flower and heart piques and made a few Valentines arrangements :) You'd think my heart was changing but not entirely, that's going to be all the decorating I do for this wretched holiday ha!
Here's an up close all finished
(the doilies are white but I couldn't get the lighting right so they look off white here, but I think I like it. Sort of goes with the vintage feel)
And the whole ensemble.
The two pictures on the lower shelf have just been there as a sort of filler. Not quite the look I'm going for but I'm working on something :)
This cost me about $10 to make! It could have been even cheaper but I had to use my 40% off coupon on my hot glue gun (can't believe I've never bought one until now) instead of using it on the wreath form.
I also like that I potentially could keep this up
even after Valentines.
It really isn't an "in your face it's Valentines!" decoration.













So cute! I love the window :)
ReplyDelete