As mentioned in this post, we were going to transition James into a "big boy" bed soon. Well, last Sunday was his first night in his new bed and he has done really well! I have to be honest, I was terrified about how he'd respond to this change but like all other changes we have encountered with him, he handled it like a champ. I am finding that I am the one with a fear of change.
We borrowed a bed from Carson's mom that she no longer needed and set it up a few days before we actually put him in it. We figured doing this might be a good idea as to sort of ease him into the idea instead of changing things all at once. We would tell him that was going to be his new bed in a few days. Then we went to the store and let him pick out some sheets for it. Of course he picked out some Thomas the Train sheets and also some Cars sheets from the Disney Pixar movie (he has become quite obsessed with this).
Sunday night rolled around and I just prepared myself for at least a night or even a few weeks of little to no sleep including rough naps but we put him in bed Sunday night and that was that. He slept SO good! We didn't hear a peep from him from about 8:30pm to 8am the next morning! We thought that when he did wake up he wouldn't realize he could get out especially on the first night but morning came and we heard his door knob turn a few times and out he came, shutting his door behind him. It was the cutest thing. He does this same thing when he gets up every day now, shutting his door behind him when he comes out. Funny boy.
I have to be honest though, I cried the next morning making his bed. Haha I don't know why, but it just hit me that he is not my little baby anymore. He's growing up so fast!
Then with naps, again, he did really well! There has been a few times that I have to go in there and put him back to bed 2, 3, 4 times but I am just persistent and usually he'll take a good nap as he usually did when in his crib.
This week has been sort of rough though with naps...I'm not sure if it's because we've had a super busy week or what but I sure hope it has nothing to do with his new bed. Hopefully he can go back to napping well. The other day, I was so desperate for him to take a nap. After about an hour of putting him back in bed, I loaded him up into the car and we went on a little drive. I could tell he was so tired. Little stinker fell asleep minutes after we started our drive. I got home and put him in his bed where he continued to nap and I took a much needed nap myself. It was delightful. I may just have to use the car more often :)
We can't believe how well he has done. I really don't give this kid enough credit. We are so proud of him!







No comments:
Post a Comment